Volunteering for CaperCon is lot’s of fun, super rewarding, but… it’s also a lot of work! Volunteering gives you a chance to experience con in a whole new way while still giving you time to enjoy the panels and events you want! Plus, volunteering can help you earn a free weekend pass!
Here are the rules:
– Must be 16+ to volunteer.
– ID’s must be brought with you.
– Your badge must be visible at all times regardless of cosplay or outfit. You will pick up your badge in the volunteer room.
– In the scenario there is an armband or other defining article for volunteers, this must also be fully visible and be worn where your volunteer head tells you.
– Your volunteer room is located on the bottom half of C200. A staff member will show you. (If you have a problem finding the room ask a staff member and have them call for the volunteer coordinator)
– Arrive early! 2:30pm Friday, 9:30am Saturday and 9:30am Sunday.
– The volunteer room will have your schedule posted on the wall. Write down your shifts so you know when you’re scheduled. If you cannot do your shift, find a volunteer to trade with and then notify Sara. There will be pens and paper for you to write down your shifts in the room.
– Fill out your name, the position (floor, panel, etc.) and the start and end time of your shift. Include your total number of hours from the weekend thus far.
– Your Volunteer room is not locked but people (C200 staff, con staff, volunteers) will be passing through and monitoring the rooms at all times. No one should be lingering around this area. If you’re not in your volunteer room, you should be on the con floor or have left the building.
– Your Volunteer room is your safe place, use it as you need to. If you are covering an important area and need to leave for any reason just let another volunteer or staff member know you must leave. We understand that conventions can be a lot to handle and we want you to feel comfortable and safe!
– If you are not on the schedule that means you are “a walker”. You will sign in and report to the volunteer coordinator who will then direct you where to go. Chances are you’ll be needed.
– You MUST work a minimum of 8 hours durring the convention to get a free badge.
– You must pre-pay for a full weekend pass in order to volunteer. Do not purchase a weekend pass through the website or C200. Full details for this process will be provided once your application has been approved.
– If you have a full 8 hours of volunteer time (this time must be documented and verified by a staff member), you will be reimbursed in full for the purchase price of the weekend pass.
– Refunds will be done through e-transfer, and all qualifying volunteers will be reimbursed within 5 business days of the end of the convention.
– If a staff member feels as if you are not working as a volunteer, you will not be reimbursed for your ticket when the convention ends.
– If you’re assisting with panels, shows, or gaming, they will count as a portion of your volunteer hours. You will still have to count them on the sign in sheet!
– In the unlikely scenario of evacuation you’ll be briefed on fire exits and how to respond to certain situations during the meetings, you need to know these. We’ll hopefully have a map for you posted in your room when you arrive.
We Have a Zero Tolerence Policy
– There is NO judgement, harassment, inappropriate behavior, or discriminatory comments to be made by anyone for any reason. Negativity directed towards another volunteer or con-goer will remove you from the Convention immediately and could lead to a permanent ban.
– There will be no foul language of any kind from the volunteers on the floor, we’re a family convention.
– As it stands all washrooms are gender-neutral.
– If someone comes to you and you’re unsure of how to assist them, call a staff member. Information about how to contact staff will be established with the volunteer coordinator and you will be discussed at the meetings.
There will be two meetings held at C200 for volunteers which will consist of a walkthrough of C200, a current schedule of events, and job descriptions.
**YOU ONLY HAVE TO ATTEND ONE**
But, you MUST attend at least one meeting or you will not be considered for volunteering unless you tell Sara or the current volunteer coordinator in advance that you can’t make it and are willing to schedule another time.
The meeting dates and times are:
You will also be emailed the dates prior to the meeting.
We will meet at the back of the Center 200 building. Look for the person wearing a CaperCon staff shirt.
The reasons for these meetings are to discuss emergency procedures such as fire exits and bathrooms. As well as to show all volunteers the locations of panels, staff rooms, etc. At the meeting we will look at the rough draft of the schedule and get all volunteers organized and ready for the con and free you up for whichever event you wish to enjoy as an attendee rather than a volunteer.
*** I know this seems like a lot to take in but this information is vitally important to the safety and function of the con. We have volunteers coming back year after year who can tell you that this is a fun and rewarding experience. We’d love to see you volunteering for us at CaperCon 2022!
Volunteer head for CaperCon
Questions, comments, and concerns can be directed to the volunteer email firstname.lastname@example.org.