All Policies are subject to adjustment. It is your responsibility to remain up to date.
These are not guidelines, these are rules. If these rules are not followed you will be asked to leave, not be reimbursed for your ticket, and/or be banned from volunteering or attending CaperCon indefinitely depending on severity.
– Must be 16+ to volunteer.
– ID’s must be brought with you.
– Your badge must be visible at all times regardless of cosplay or outfit. You will pick up your badge in the volunteer room.
– In the scenario there is an armband or other defining article for volunteers, this must also be fully visible and be worn where your volunteer head tells you.
– Your volunteer room is located on the bottom half of C200. A staff member will show you. (If you have a problem finding the room ask a staff member and have them call for Sara or Genaya.)
– Arrive early! 2:30pm Friday, 9:30am Saturday and 9:30am Sunday.
– The volunteer room will have your schedule posted on the wall. Write down your shifts so you know when you’re scheduled. If you cannot do your shift, find a volunteer to trade with and then notify Sara. There will be pens and paper for you to write down your shifts in the room.
– Fill out your name, the position (floor, panel, etc.) and the start and end time of your shift. Include your TOTAL number of hours at that point.
– Your Volunteer room is not locked but people (C200 staff, con staff, volunteers) will be passing through and monitoring the rooms at all times. No one should be lingering around this area. If you’re not in your volunteer room, you should be on the con floor or have left the building.
– Your Volunteer room is your safe place, use it as you need to. If you are covering an important area and need to leave for any reason just let another volunteer or staff member know you must leave. We understand that conventions can be a lot to handle and we want you to feel comfortable and safe.
– If you are not on the schedule that means you are “a walker”. You will sign in and report to Sara who will then direct you where to go. Chances are you’ll be needed.
– You MUST work a minimum of 8 hours to get a free badge.
– You must pre-pay for a full weekend pass in order to volunteer. Do not purchase a weekend
pass through the website or C200. Full details for this process will be provided once your
application has been approved.
– If you have a full 8 hours of volunteer time (this time must be documented and verified by a
staff member), you will be reimbursed in full for the purchase price of the weekend pass.
Refunds will be done through e-transfer, and all qualifying volunteers will be reimbursed within
5 business days of the end of the convention.
– If a staff member feels as if you are not pulling your weight as a volunteer, you will not be reimbursed for your ticket when the convention ends.
– If you’re doing panels, shows, or gaming, they will count as a portion of your volunteer hours. You will still have to count them on the sign in sheet.
– In the unlikely scenario of evacuation you’ll be briefed on fire exits and how to respond to certain situations during the meetings, you need to know these. We’ll hopefully have a map for you posted in your room when you arrive.
We have an anti-bullying policy.
– There is NO judgement, bullying, or discriminatory comments to be made by anyone for any reason. Negativity directed towards another volunteer or con-goer will remove you from the Convention immediately and could lead to a permanent ban.
– There will be no profane language of any kind on the floor. This is an all ages con and for lack of a better phrase, watch your mouth.
– As it stands all washrooms are gender-neutral for whoever asks you.
– If someone approaches you with this situation or any situation you can ask them if there is anything you can do to assist or you call a staff member. Information about how contact will be established between your head volunteer and you will be discussed at the meetings and in the application form.
There will be two meetings held at C200 for volunteers which will consist of a walkthrough of C200, a current schedule of events, and job descriptions.
**YOU ONLY HAVE TO ATTEND ONE**
But, you MUST attend at least one meeting or you will not be considered for volunteering unless you tell Sara or me (Genaya) in advance that you can’t make it and are willing to schedule another time.
The meeting dates and times are:
August 17, 2018 – 5PM
September 15, 2018 – 2PM
You will also be emailed the dates prior to the meeting.
We will meet at the back of the Center 200 building. Look for the person wearing a CaperCon staff shirt.
The reasons for these meetings are to discuss emergency procedures such as fire exits and bathrooms. As well as to show all volunteers the locations of panels, staff rooms, etc. At the meeting we will look at the rough draft of the schedule and get all volunteers organized and ready for the con and free you up for whichever event you wish to enjoy as an attendee rather than a volunteer.
*** I know this seems like a lot to take in but this information is vitally important to the safety and function of the con. We have volunteers coming back year after year who can tell you that this is a fun and rewarding experience. We’d love to see you volunteering for us at CaperCon 2018!
Volunteer and Panel Coordinator
(New) Volunteer head for CaperCon 2018
Questions, comments, and concerns can be directed to the volunteer email firstname.lastname@example.org.